Today I’m going to talk to you about the benefits of watching movies for children. Yes, movies. That thing I haven’t had any contact with since Emma was born. I’m sure any real-life mom will agree with me when I say that, for me, movies now only have beginnings: ten tiny minutes during which you’re filled with faith and think that your children will stay away while you enjoy a good movie after lunch. Ha! I don’t even remember how many times I fell for that one … You start by putting your feet up on the couch, and pulling the blanket a little bit … and next thing you know, they are on top of you screaming in your ear.
Do you know any single mom that has two free hours to watch a movie? On top of that, movies are getting longer and longer! I remember when we used to choose movies by the plot. Now, my priority is the film length: if it goes over 83 minutes, I don’t even make an act of faith. In other words, I am just happy to watch the trailer. And what about those attempts, at night, when they have already fallen asleep? Triumphantly, you think: “This is my moment, ooooh yeaaah. But you’re so tired that you start by putting your feet up on the couch, pulling the blanket a little bit … and next thing you know, you have fallen asleep.
So Daniel (my husband) and I have resigned ourselves to watching only kids’ movies. If you can’t beat them, join them! The problem is that kids like to watch the same movie over and over again. Be that as it may, what is unquestionable is that watching movies is a wonderful thing, for both young and older people. That is why I would like to know what are the benefits of watching movies for children and why it is good for my children.
Benefits of watching movies for children in eight takes.
- Take 1: Transmission of values. During these Big Brother days (not Orwell’s; the other one) it is something that we cannot take for granted. Psychologists claim that films are a source of transmission of cultural, social, educational and emotional values. However, we the parents should make sure that the values that certain films transmit are in line with ours and with the current times… my daughters do not need a prince and a shoe in order to be remembered. The transmission of values is something that should also be sought in the stories we choose for them. Mumablue’s personalized books educate in values in the first person as the child himself is the hero of the story.
- Take 2: Development booster. Cinema allows children to develop their empathy and critical spirit, thanks to their identification with the characters. In this way, they become familiar with strategies to solve conflicts, when facing situations that, although fictitious, have a reference in the real world. It’s the same with adults: right now I live in a duality between Bridget Jones and Mr. Wolf.
- Take 3: It helps to control emotions. This is one of the most useful benefits of watching movies for children. Through identification they can understand emotions, which in the long run will give them more control over them. Being able to approach negative feelings such as sadness, fear, or anger from the outside allows them to understand them more clearly. I am so prepared to deal with Daniel’s freezing if we hit an iceberg during a Caribbean cruise!
- Take 4: Visual culture. Yes, my friends! Visual culture does not mean Christmas videos that you get on WhatsApp! Visual culture development is linked to arts education. Nowadays, images have become an important part of our lives and it is important not only that children learn to look, but also that they become familiar with visual communication and the reading and analysis of images.
- Take 5: Sensitivity sharpener. Due to its visual and sound nature, films provide elements that stimulate sensitivity. This is the basis of emotional education and films allow children to begin to appreciate situations to which they were previously indifferent. In fact, this happens with any story, be it a film, a story, or even an advertising commercial. Once, I cried with an Instagram Story…!
- Take 6: Encourage critical thinking. Enjoying the story and its plot, as well as the ability to observe and understand different forms of audiovisual communication, increases perceptual skills. This leads to the development of other skills such as codification, assimilation, or recovery of knowledge, thus feeding critical thinking. And that, in the times of Big Brother (now, Orwell’s), it means a lot. The development of critical thinking is one of the great benefits of watching movies for children because it will set them free when they grow up.
- Take 7: Creativity stimulation. Cinema is an inexhaustible source of stimulus for a child, as it makes them associate ideas almost immediately and encourages imagination and artistic expression. Of all the benefits of watching movies for children, the ability to make them creative is what worries me most: will they be more likely to unleash their creativity on the living room wall? I say this because, often, I don’t know if I’m at home or at the Guggenheim.
- Take 8: Teaching. Films present themes, situations, arguments, ideas, data, names, costumes, places, landscapes, music, etc., which stimulate cognitive capacity and provide global knowledge, thanks to the fact that they are interrelated. Anything that teaches something is valuable, and the cinema is one of the most complete arts in this sense. For example, I know what they call the quarter-pound in Paris thanks to Pulp Fiction.
After reading these eight benefits of cinema for children, I think no mother will think twice about giving in to children’s demands to see a film. Cinema can be enjoyed at home, that’s for sure. But for cinema to be real cinema, it has to be seen on a big screen and under the pressure of not being able to snore during the duration of the film. Oh, those were the days when you could watch a movie in a real cinema! With that popcorn smell, its solemn atmosphere, its surround sound system… (the very uncomfortable armchairs, the big head in the front, the strange chewing of popcorn, the 15 minutes of commercials before the film…) I miss all those things! Anyway, patience; I’m going to look on the Internet to see if there are any release forecasts for 2030.
I’m a mother, but I still like going to the movies… And not watching the movie! And that’s it.
I visited multiple websites but the audio feature for audio songs current at this site is
in fact superb.
Incredible points. Sound arguments. Keep up the great effort.
I’m amazed, I have to admit. Seldom do I encounter a blog that’s both educative and interesting, and without a
doubt, you’ve hit the nail on the head. The issue is an issue that too few
folks are speaking intelligently about.
Good post. I certainly appreciate this website.
Keep it up!
Hi there, I enjoy reading all of your post. I wanted to write a little comment to
Spot on with this write-up, I seriously feel this
site needs far more attention. I’ll probably be returning to read through more, thanks for the advice!
Excellent post. I used to be checking continuously this weblog and I’m impressed!
Very useful information particularly the remaining phase 🙂 I maintain such info a lot.
I was seeking this particular info for a long time.
Thank you and best of luck.
Superb, what a webpage it is! This webpage gives helpful data to us, keep it up.
Off, congratulations on this article. This is actually
truly excellent however that’s why you consistently crank out my buddy.
Terrific articles that we may sink our teeth into and definitely most
likely to function.
Hi, I read your blogs on a regular basis. Your writing style is witty, keep
Please let me know if you’re looking for a article writer
for your blog. You have some really great posts and I feel I ould be a good asset.
If you everr want to take some of the load off, I’d really
like to write some maqterial for your blog in exchange for a link back
to mine.Please shoot me an email iff interested.
Thanks in support of sharing such a pleasant thought, piece of writing is good, thats why i have read it entirely
all the time i used to read smaller posts which as well cclear their motive, and that is
also happening with this article which I am reading at this
It’s not my first time to pay a visit this site, i
am visiting this website dailly and take nice information from here everyday.
Hello my loved one! I wish to say that this
post is awesome, great written and come with almost all important infos.
I’d like to look extra posts like this .
Wow that was odd. I just wrote an incredibly long comment but after I clicked submit
my comment didn’t appear. Grrrr… well I’m not writing all that over again. Anyway, just wanted to say great blog!
whoah this weblog is great i like studying your articles. Keep up the good work!
You realize, a lot of persons are hunting round for this information, you could
help them greatly.
Very nice post. I simply stumbled upon your blog and wished
to say that I have truly enjoyed browsing your weblog posts.
In any case I will be subscribing to your rss feed and I’m hoping you
write once more soon!
Superb, what a blog it is! This weblog presents helpful facts to us,
keep it up.
Fantastic web site. Plenty of useful information here.
I’m sending it to a few pals ans additionally sharing in delicious.
And certainly, thanks in your effort!
Thanks a lot for sharing this with all of us you actually recognize what you’re talking approximately!
Someone necessarily assist to make severely posts
I might state. This is the first time I frequented your web page and
thus far? I surprised with the analysis you made to create this particular submit amazing.
Hi my family member! I want to say that this article is amazing, nice written and include
approximately all important infos. I’d like to peer more posts like this .
Hi there friends, its wonderful piece of writing on the topic of educationand entirely explained, keep it up all the time.
Wonderful website. Lots of helpful information here. I’m sending it to some pals ans additionally sharing in delicious.
And obviously, thank you for your effort!